Five fun facts about the Irish holiday:
1. St. Patrick was not born in Ireland, but in Britain.
2. Green was not always the color tied to St. Patrick’s Day. Traditionally blue, it later shifted to green because of Ireland’s nickname “The Emerald Isle.”
3. Guinness is one of the most popular beers for the holiday.
4. St. Patrick’s Day used to be considered a ‘dry’ holiday. In Ireland, it was against the law to drink on the religious holiday between 1903 and 1970.
5. In the 1880s, St. Patrick’s Day was officially considered a U.S. holiday after thousands of Irish immigrants came to the country.
– Cassidy Littlewood, The Oklahoma 100